[Spridgets] Auto Experts: Not LBC but stupid fuseable link needed for my truck..ugh.

crusaderchuck55 at aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Sun Apr 14 13:07:01 MDT 2019

    Fuseable links are a specific resistance over specific length .  the amount of resistance is determined by the gauge of the wire in the Fuseable link.   It's sold at some places by the foot and other places in tiny rolled up bits in blister packs.   The Fuseable link wire is designed to melt ( burn apart) if the current draw exceeds the links ability to flow current end to end over its predetermined measured length by manufacturers in a specific application.Its frequently used in starting circuits right at the starter solenoid.  Certain manufacturers use measured lengths of specific gauge wire in ignition circuits to trigger electric tachometers.   Other interesting applications of specific wire applications , GM for a number of years had ignition resistors online between the ignition and the coil.  Then GM went to a specific gauge wire in a specific length through the wire harness to convey power to the coil making up the required resistance.Another trick manufacturers do is hide diodes wrapped in the harness.   But Fuseable link is used far more frequently than anyone can imagine.Not remembering the resistance values, I know of 3 colors of the link shielding, gray, orange and brown.  I have brown and orange here.ChuckSent from my LG Mobile------ Original message------From: Linda Grunthaner via SpridgetsDate: Sun, Apr 14, 2019 11:54 AMTo: Spridget list;Cc: Subject:[Spridgets] Auto Experts: Not LBC but stupid fuseable link needed	for my truck..ugh.List,I have exhausted all sites stores and groups for this nasty bugger called a fuseable link which to me is just a wire. I'll make one after I exhaust all other efforts but prefer not to open up my wiring harness and solder in.I need this "looks like" image in link, 5 wires called fuseable links which to me is just a thinner than connected to wire at 6" long:Why can't I just use wire that is 6" long (I read they need to be 6" long) and just the 4 gauges smaller than what they go into? At the very bottom is a nice youtube of a guy soldering them in and he made the most sense.What did MG and Austin Healey do to not require them in our Spridgets?Many thanks as always school me on what