[Spridgets] Alternator conversion & Old guys

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Wed Mar 21 09:04:27 MDT 2018

 Ok, guys, I have just been following this "old geezer" thread for
enjoyment. But, here's something I can add to the request for Franks
alternator conversion instructions - pictures! I followed those
instructions, mostly, and also used his instructions for modifying the
voltage regulator to accompany the alternator conversion. The pictures are
here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thcmtu/albums/72157630516983404

My swap from generator to alternator was on a 1966 Austin Healey Sprite
with a 1098cc engine. The setup has worked great!!

I'll be 69 y.o. this year. I don't have kids & I occasionally think about
what will become of my Sprite. Hopefully, there's lots of years left to
enjoy it.

Right now I am concerned with getting my 92 yo M-I-Law out of her car. I
asked a police officer about this. He said the Michigan State Police have a
form I can fill out to request a driver reevaluation. So, I asked him if he
would "rat out" his M-I-Law. He laughed; "Nope, I'd let the cops do it."
(And, he even has tasers, hand cuff, and other neat stuff)  It seems that
keeping a drivers license is weighted toward the owner's wishes here. If
persuasion doesn't work, there's apparently no one who will actively yank a
person's license until something bad happens. I'm just a lowly son in law.
I figure the daughters need to wrestle with this problem as it's their
mother!

If you click on the "back to albums list" at the top left of the pictures
page, you can look at additional Sprite pics including my wind blocker
build. There is also an album of Leo Bestgen illustrations that come from
Peter Egan articles from Road & Track.

Now, if you're picturing your M-I-L being tasered & hand cuffed, etc, well,
knock it off! She's probably a very nice person! Tell her I said so!

Tim