[Spridgets] 1275 with headers exhaust?

Weslake1330 weslake1330 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 16:29:53 MDT 2018

Here in the UK noise has become a bigger issue over the last decade + (that
I've been a scrutineer (tech official)). A turned down pipe outlet or a
turned outside track rather than inside track doesn't fool us.  Nor does
under declaring the rpm limit for testing, or rigging the tacho to under
read rpm.  Several tracks have sophisticated sound metering equipment that
not only identified a noisy car but takes a photo of it (while racing on
the track) with the decibel reading imposed on the photo. Some even
automatically send that data to the local council/authority.

However, noisy cars don't necessarily make more power.  Yes, there is a
weight penalty on having an exhaust silencer fitted but any good quality
silencer on a racing A-series engine won't rob power.  If you're interested
in exhaust add-on parts, like the Super trap product - read what David
Vizard has to say about them. In recent years they have become increasingly
scarce in UK motorsport, and that's not just because they often parted
company with the exhaust system pipe.

UK Noise limits vary but 98 to 103, and occasionally 105 are typical.

Regards

Daniel