[Spridgets] A spridget question about rear hubs

Bob Kitterer bkitterer at me.com
Fri Jan 26 10:13:11 MST 2018

Bob,

First item is that the hubs for WW and Disk wheels are completely different.  This is one reason that the diff housing is an inch shorter.

Next using a diff from a later model car would require either changing mounting attachment points to fit the bugeye or changing the suspension on the bugeye.  The way around this is IF you can find a diff housing from an early MK I Midget with WW.  The early Midgets had the same rear suspension as the bugeye.  This is how my car is set up but then my conversion was done in 1968 and such parts were more available.

The tread was the same for all years of production.  I think that there were only four diff housing used - Disk and WW for the quarter elliptic suspension and Disk/WW for semi elliptic suspension.

Bob  Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2013 Miata
2017 Mazda CX9

Pay it forward.
Thanks Frank