[Spridgets] A spridget question about rear hubs

Bob Spruck raspruck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 22:28:48 MST 2018

I should be able to measure a hub from a wire wheel car and a disc wheel
car. One thing I do know is that the wheel studs are different. I
believe the WW studs are shorter to accommodate the taper on the front
side of the axle that meshes with the taper on the backside of the WW. I
can measure them too.

I wonder what happens if you use a disc wheel hub with short studs to
mount wire wheels? Does it shorten the overall width such that there is
tire/body interference?

I also assume that since Bugeyes never came from the factory with wire
wheels (only disc wheels) that the diff housing is as wide as the later
model's disc wheel car. That would mean that later model WW axles would
be shorter and would engage the splines in the diff gears a half inch
less on each side. Anybody have any experience with later model WW axles
being used on a Bugeye diff assembly? My conversion plan is to use later
WW axles with the disc wheel hubs but with the shorter wheel studs. Has
anybody ever done this?

Bob