[Spridgets] How to polish our side screens, tips please

Bob Kitterer bkitterer at me.com
Wed Dec 5 09:07:18 MST 2018

Hi Linda,

The Al frames and cockpit surround were originally done by some type of process that made them have a more polished silver look.  Mike McLean probable remembers what it is called.  Some years ago he found a company still doing that coating but it was expensive.  It also would scratch fairly easy.  Now days polishing and clear anodizing is probably most common although some folks just polish the frames and surrounds and claim they stay looking good with out vey much effort.  I can not attest to that claim.  Anyway if they are anodized then there is not much you can easily do to change them.  Anodizing Al gives you a coating of AlO2 which is the same as sapphire and diamond is the only thing harder than sapphire.  It is possible to re-polish the fames but not an easy task.

I did an article and several classes on rebuilding sliding side curtains back about 2000 and will send you, and any one else interested, that write up.

Bob  Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2013 Miata
2017 Mazda CX9

Pay it forward.
Thanks Frank