[Spridgets] Electrical Issue?? HELP

crusaderchuck55@aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 19:09:13 MDT 2018

    I need to know a little more , but first have you tried swapping the turn signal flasher?  That can internally short.   Will the fuse blow without the car running ( just turn on key? Will it blow?).  Next could it be a bad bulb shorting in a socket ?  Those little lead bumps on the base of bulbs can melt and drip just enough to cause a short.  If it's a bulb it should blow the fuse on a right or left turn using the switch with key on no running motor.Next "try this" item.   Disconnect the fuel gauge .  either power to gauge or unplug sending unit wire where The tail light harness plugs into the main harness.   You might have a bare wire for the fuel sending unit shorting somewhere.  Your first mission is to isolate different circuits to find is it the tach( doubtful) , the fuel gauge circut or in the turn signals.   I'm betting on a dead short to ground somewhere.  A wire chafed through the insulation or a melted lead blob on the base of a bulb.  Just random ramblings of a crazy person custom cutting a front bumper to fit flared fiberglass fenders.....you know measure once ...cut twice.   I'm calling it a night "A NIGHT"  lol!Lemmie know whatcha find.ChuckThis Midget hates me....Sent from my LG Mobile

------ Original message------From: Midget Mail via Spridgets Date: Sun, Aug 26, 2018 7:35 PMTo: Spridget List;Subject:[Spridgets] Electrical Issue??  HELP
Hi all,So I am at a loss and I am hoping someone in Spridget Land can help.  I went to drive my midget last week and noticed that I had no working tach, fuel gauge nor blinkers.  Finally got a chance to try to diagnose and hopefully fix the issue today.  Checked fuses first - found a blown fuse - sweet easy fix right!!  WRONG!!!  I have now gone through at least 5 fuses and they keep blowing (and some even melting and oozing metal).  I am installing a 30Amp fuse which works fine for about 2.5 seconds (or a couple of revs of the engine) and then the tach drops and nothing - blown fuse.  Found that this is the same fuse that works the blinkers and the brake lights as well.  I have older fuses (the 35A fuses) but they don’t work at all.  Battery is working fine - checked with mutli-meterHad to replace the solenoid but still having the same issue after the replacement (using solenoid from a parts car)Any ideas on what I am missing???Thanks,LambertKristi & Lambert'74 RWA Midget'77 RB Midget'71 Morris 1100 MK 2Philadelphia MG Club TreasurerBrits at the Village CoordinatorCheck out Philadelphia MG Club on Facebook“It is good to have an end to a journey … But it is the journey that matters in the end.”  ~ Ursula K. Leguin------------------------spridgets at autox.team.netDonate: http://www.team.net/donate.htmlSuggested annual donation: $12.75Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgetsUnsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/crusaderchuck55@aol.com