[Spridgets] Funky tires and lugged nutz

crusaderchuck55@aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 13:56:42 MDT 2018

    Oh my!   I'm not really digesting all this....very well.Considering the original published pressures are not 100% applicable over 40+ years later.   Tire material , manufacturing and tread patterns have evolved.  It's come down to what do you want the car to do?   Go for a Sunday ice cream, autocross , road race or daily driver. Lots of air pressure  crowns the tread which improves fuel economy and reduces the side wall flex in aggressive cornering , also gives a "stuffer" feeling ride.  Lower pressures increase the "contact patch" of the tire and cushion the ride a bit.   On tire wear lots of pressure prematurely wears the center of the tire tread.   Lower pressure will wear heavily on the outer edges of the tire tread.  .the happy medium presdure between the extremes will provide a uniform tread wear.  And then just when you thought....you figured it out....the A-B-C ratings for tread wear & traction are enough to drive an individual nutz.   Wheel lug torque is very dependant on the stud's size and wheel .  Try to never exceed the recommended torque. .snapping or stripping a stud is an unplesant place to be!Overtightening these little 3/8" stud's can lead to literal striping of the threads with little effort....be carefull!Guys with impact guns can overtighten to the point of getting them stripped and so hot , the nut can weld itself onto The stud.   Just wait until that wheel needs to come off .So what presdure?  I dunno.How tight?   Just enough...Chuck"Been there....broke that....fixed it....broke it again....fixed it again...."
Sent from my LG Mobile