[Spridgets] Weber Conversion

Ron Soave soavero at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 06:31:21 MDT 2018

To be clear,, I use both. My street Bugeye and street Midget (bone stock) use SUs at the moment. My race car uses both as things dictate. The throttle shafts wear quickly on the SUs under race conditions, and they are more susceptible to fuel frothing in the float bowls, which is a pain. My last dyno runs were 3 weeks ago, and I eeked out 3 more hp with the weber. Last year, slightly HIGHER compression ratio, I got 2 more with the SUs. They are both great carbs when set up right. My weber was bought from the late great Skip at Shadetree motors in 1997. It is used pretty severely and is as new. You can’t kill ‘em.

28 and 30 mm chokes — I use 36 mm chokes on street, 40mm on race. Brake specific fuel consumption showed less than those numbers clamped performance. Your results may vary, and that’s the fun of it. I LOVE the Weber sound (sometimes), and have a set of triples on the TR6 I am getting around to restoring.

Ron Soave