[Spridgets] Tie Rod Removal

dwoerpel dwoerpel at wi.net
Thu Oct 26 08:47:04 MDT 2017

OK, I gotta weigh in on this.  I worked for 14 years volunteering with
the EAA restoring their B-25 and working on sundry others (Grumman Duck,
P-51, Spanish Bf 109, P-64, & B-17 to name a few).  Military is
unforgiving.  3 threads must show through the nut, Nylock nuts only used
3 times, any flaws on any fastener and it was replaced.  Pretty
understandable given the duty of the parts and the loads.  Many of those
better condition fasteners found their way home to the garage and have
been used for various non-stress related projects.  If it's a safety
related item it gets replaced. Although aeronautical standards can seem
extreme (they are) think about it the next time you're in an A340 or 787
or whatever.  I carry that philosophy to ground transportation as well.
Structural & safety related pieces get replaced.  That's just me.

HOWEVER!...there may be instances where it's not practical or desired.
1.  Those of us with historically "correct" cars are loath to replace
anything not original.  50 or 60 year old fasteners on something
structural do need to be replaced and there are companies that make the
old fasteners in the original style. 2.  One must consider the quality
of the replacement part; is it "bootleg"(where have I heard that
before...Frank!) or incorrect fit? It can be tough to find good parts.

This whole dissertation is a long winded way of advising when in doubt,
replace it.  Like Larry said, it's up to you.

OR, buy a Morgan and you'll replace those parts often as they vibrate
off the car!  ;-)

Just my $2.00/
Safety Fast!

/Dave W