[Spridgets] Tie Rod Removal

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Tue Oct 24 19:53:09 MDT 2017

Only one hour after getting the tie rod out, this is what it looks like.  Grease everywhere.  Amazingly the pin at the bottom of the kingpin that screws into the lower a-arm unscrewed easily.  Originally I had put a new pin in the original Bugeye lower a-arms.  The old one was Hell to get out due to wear, but this newer one had almost no wear in 7000 miles.  In fact, the two cork washers were still in place either side of the kingpin!  What I did not know is this lower a-arm replacement would turn into a full blown front suspension rebuild.  A lot of stuff was loose like the bullet shaped rubber buffer.  Some of the nuts were finger tight.   I had to cut the brake line (I have new ones) and the shock needs to be rebuilt I think.  There is an inch of movement before resistance is felt in either direction. Peter?  Going to be a little more involved and cost more than I thought. Crap.Mike MacLean

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Michael MacLean<rrengineer.mike at att.net> wrote:   My Bugeye only has 7,000 miles on it since the restoration in 2000.  I wanted to save the tie rod ends since they are still in good shape.  Besides, I am also restoring a BN2 at the moment, so most of my cash is going in that direction.  Mike MacLean

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Ron Soave<soavero at yahoo.com> wrote:   Mine likely gets used 15x more than the average bear. It's way better to change your tie rod ends.

Ron Soave