[Spridgets] Small project update

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Sat Oct 7 11:09:49 MDT 2017

Hi list, I guess it’s still customary to post an update every now and
again so here’s mine.  A couple of years ago I came across a W&P Sebring GT
series 2  front.  I noticed the indicators weren’t a matching pair and  while
one was a standard 69 unit the other turned out to be MGB with a clear
plastic indicator lense rather than the usual orange one you see on an  MGB.
Given the MGB lenses are plastic compared to the  glass of the Sprite/Midget,
which also chip every time you tighten them, I  decided to convert my car to
MGB indicators with clear indicator lenses . The  job was straightforward
with a couple of holes needing to be drilled and a  rubber gasket made to go
between the indicator and bodywork.  The fit  wasn’t perfect but the result
looks ok to me and I got a useful weight saving  from the project.  One
installation snag though, was the MGB indicator  wiring was shorter than the
Sprite/Midget so I had to create extensions using  bullet connectors etc and
taped them over.  So fast  forward to the past couple of weeks when I removed
the indicator and unsoldered  the original wires (a kind of mini-nipple
soldered to the wire for the bulb  contacts) and made some longer ones.  I also
got to use my new bullet  crimping tool, although I like to crimp and solder
all bullet  connectors.  I also got to use my new heat gun on the heat shrink
 sleeving I’d bought for the job and had new black plastic spiral cabling
protector over the top.   The longer cable also allowed me  to secure the
cable along with the headlight cabling in a new s/s rubber lined P  clip.  The
job didn’t end there in fact it didn’t begin  there, because I’d also made
new headlamp loom wires – the existing looms date  back to about 1992 and
heavy-duty gauge wiring to go with the 160W main and 100W  dipped bulbs.  So
after more work with the heat gun, shrink wrap,  spiral cable protecting and
testing the jobs are done and the grille  re-fitted.  Almost forgot, the
other reason for replacing the  headlight looms was that every now and again
when they were disconnected  (bodywork jobs normally – like a replacement
front panel) a bullet would shear  off and so the wire got a bit shorter so the
new looms are at least a couple of  inches longer to allow for repairs over
time.
Regards
Daniel