[Spridgets] Cockpit Trim

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Wed Jun 15 13:42:25 MDT 2016

The original anodizing process for the Bugeye was called Bright Dip.  If you talk to anodizers today, they know what you are talking about. It is not just a clear coat.  It leaves an etched and sealed surface that looks shiny, but is very scratch resistant and sealed from the elements. The process is very toxic, so the EPA has probably driven the price up these days. The one place in Los Angeles that specializes in Bright Dip process for British car trim quoted me $500 to do 4 pieces of cockpit trim rails for my BN2 restoration two years ago.  In 1999 I did the cockpit trim and the windshield frame for my Bugeye for $125.  A restorer friend of mine that passed away earlier this year just had the trim polished and left it at that, but he only needed it to look good for auction.
Mike MacLean