[Spridgets] Raydyot Mirrors on a Bugeye

Bob Spruck raspruck at gmail.com
Sat May 16 07:40:02 MDT 2015

I have found that the TINY stock rear view mirror mounted on the scuttle
is entirely inadequate for seeing anything approaching from the rear.
With such a relatively tiny, slow, and valuable car and with all the
crazies out there, I get paranoid about getting hit. Also, my new GMC
Canyon pickup was rear ended last month by an inattentive young girl on
her phone. Five weeks and $4000 later, I hope it is as good as new and
now realize that it can happen to anybody at anytime, regardless of how
good a driver he might be. Scarey!!

Anyway, Moss has a sale on Raydyot replica mirrors. They sure look nice
and would lend a period look to my Speedwell blue/white Healey hardtop
Sebring replica Bugeye. If anyone has any experience with them, I'd be
interested in any comments about quality, mounting, visibility to the
rear, etc.  They are 3 3/4 " in diameter and seem to have flat glass. I
could always add a convex stick-on as I did on my vintage racer. Also
BuyeyeGuy,com on his website says mirrors should be mounted 22 1/2 "
forward of the rear of the bonnet for optimal visibility. Any comments?

I am also contemplating converting the bonnet to a front hinged
configuration, using later stock bumper mount brackets modified to fit.
Regardless of how good the available kits are, they don't seem to be
worth the $200 or so they are asking if I can engineer and fabricate
something myself. Any comments or experiences would be very appreciated.

That's all for now.

Bob Spruck
'67 Midget vintage racer
'72 Midget on its second restoration