[Spridgets] Apolgies - differential - highway speeds etc

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Fri May 15 14:06:04 MDT 2015

Hi List,

I've felt fairly bad for a couple of days about one of my replies to the
highway speeds/diff/pumpkin thread but it's taken until now for me to find
the  time to try and put things right.  To serve my 'penance' I've finally
gotten round to doing what I should have done in the first place which is dig
a  complete final drive assembly from under the bench in my garage, pull it
apart,  and photograph it.

As you can see in both photos, there are 2 components.  The
differential/diff is dark metal and has a bearing on at each end.  This  differential also
has a Phantom Grip device fitted to it (another  story/thread).  More
importantly this diff also has the crownwheel or ring  gear bolted to it.
However, it needs the pinion to go with it to make a  final drive unit and the two
items are matched components.

It is possible to buy just the final drive gears - the ring and pinion by
themselves without the diff - you can find them on ebay.  But, it's rare to
see a diff with the ring bolted to it and the pinion with it as another
part.

In the photo you can also see the differential carrier itself which for the
 Sprite/Midget is light in colour because it's cast from aluminium alloy.
You can also see looking inside the diff carrier the pinion gear.

So, the easiest way to swap the final drive ratio (4.22 to 3/9) is to buy a
 complete final drive assembly which is: the diff, the ring and pinion and
the  diff carrier.  If you just buy the diff which goes into the pumpkin and
 even it has the ring gear bolted to it, it won't work in your pumpkin
(final  drive assembly) because the pinion will have the wrong tooth count for
the new  ring gear being a different ratio (eg: 9 teeth instead of 10 teeth)

Sorry, apologies to the list if my earlier reply was rude and  discourteous.

Regards

Daniel