[Spridgets] Brand new Facet fuel pump problem, no power.

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:32:48 MDT 2015

Hi Guys,
This afternoon I ran my Sprite's fuel tank dry after driving her without a
problem over the weekend a short distance. It was my fault as I swapped to
my old loose gas cap during the day because it was "pretty" (for me pretty
stupid) and that allowed the fuel tank with little gas to dry out. My
Sprite ran fine until there was no fuel while sitting in the driveway
today. I know my old 2 yr old Facet pump is dead because it no longer makes
any noise  which it always does when I turn the key prior to starting.

I quickly went to the NAPA store and purchased another near exact Facet
pump "Posi-Flow" and installed it to the exact location as the broken one.
I connected everything exactly as the previous pump and put 2 gallons of
gas in the tank, l reinstalled the rear wheel lowered the jack and
reconnected the battery terminal. I turned the key and I get nothing, no
sound what-so-ever. I have headlights the starter works and the blinkers
too but I hear nothing out of the pump which is usually loud from inside
the car.

I then thought maybe there was nothing wrong with the old one but I put 12
volts on it with another battery and nothing, so it was clearly burned out.

Tomorrow I'm going to run another ground wire from the black ground on the
pump directly to the negative terminal of the battery to be sure I have
contact for ground as it is only connected to the bolt as the prior pump
was and I will also run another wire to the red power on the pump directly
to the positive terminal of the battery. Other than that I'm stumped. I'll
also call Facet for suggestions.

Am I missing anything? Could the pump be bad? I'm guessing yes but a long
shot.

How can I test the new pump other than running the connections directly to
the battery?

Thanks in advance.
Lin

62 Sprite 1275 engine, negative ground

--
"Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut