[Spridgets] Subject: Re: How can you kill an alternator

Mark Haynes haynes386 at netzero.net
Mon Feb 2 13:08:42 MST 2015

Trevor-
There is definitely a high end on the bearings' RPM for longevity, That's why quite a few, if not most, racers put smaller pulleys on their water pumps and alternators-or use an 'Underdrive' pulley on the crank. If you run these two ancillaries at high RPMs for long periods of time, you get cavitation in the water pump, which leads to overheating, and bearings do burn out in the alternator.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward

Well there's your answer.   I had to go through three alternators from AutoZone before I
got one that would last more than a year.   I think their "rebuilding" process
is not much more than clean and polish.  :-)

Sent from my keyboard

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:34 PM, Trevor Jessie <trevor.jessie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm just trying to rule out possibilities on how I'm killing so many alternators.
They fail slowly.  Gradually requiring more and more rpms before they start charging and
eventually they quit charging regardless on rpms.  I'm on my fourth "rebuilt"
Lucas unit from a major chain autoparts store.