[Spridgets] Flat towing

Bob Kitterer bkitterer at me.com
Mon Apr 21 12:59:01 MDT 2014

Hi Michael,

You may have been thinking of me, I did take my bugeye around the country
behind a RV for a few years.  But it was in an enclosed trailer. This was
shortly after we restored it to show condition and did not want to suffer
road damage or have it disappear some evening while we were parked.

We did get the Mk III with the intent of flat towing it behind the RV but
other things interfered with that before becoming a reality.  With all due
respect to Frank C I did intend to flat tow it with the drive shaft connected,
something he was very much apposed to doing.  The argument is that the rear
transmission bearing will not get lubricated and thus be destroyed.  The same
argument has been put forth for Miatas but I encountered several Miatas
being flat towed behind RVs for months on end with no problems.  I am incline
to think the same would be true for the Spridgets, assuming the tranny is
filled with oil.  If someone has first hand experience with flat towing a
Spridget for long distances with the driveshaft connected it would be good to
know how that went.  There are plenty of well a friend of a friend did this
or I heard of someone who did this but I do not know anyone with first hand
experience.

Otherwise Michael how are you doing and what plans/trips are on the agenda?

We just recently moved to AZ and are still getting settled in.

Bob  Kitterer and Dolores
1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1967 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
On Apr 21, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Michael Rowe <mdrowe at optonline.net> wrote:

> I have a memory that someone on this list (Bob Kirchner?)  flat-towed a
Spridget behind an RV for a year or more of travelling.  Anyone who knows
about this please contact me off-list.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/bkitterer@me.com