[Spridgets] Safety improvements

Bob Spruck mgmaven at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 8 19:13:15 MDT 2014

Very often our VDCA  vintage race Group 1 (production cars under
1300ccs) also includes Formula Vees with a delayed start. Almost all the
Vees have a small red flag on a flexible pole that is sold for use on
kid's bicycles. Many times all I can see in my center rear view mirror
when a FV approaches to pass me is the flag, never see the body until he
comes into my side view mirrors. I intend to add such a flag to the rear
bumper of my '72 when I get it back on the road.

This should let cars stopped in front of me know I am there. Today's
SUVs and sedans have such poor rear vision, especially close and low to
their rear bumpers, without something tall, they would never see me.
Same goes for trucks and other tall vehicles seeing me below their
hoods. Visibility is one reason my '72 is painted Corvette red and
(taking a clue from motorcycle riders) has a rather loud exhaust.

Bob