[Spridgets] Observations and impressions for bleeding the 1500 clutch

Rick Bastedo rbastedo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:11:40 MST 2013

Contrast this with my recent experience bleeding the clutch on my 1980
Datsun 210.
I replaced the master and the slave and bled the system.
The only hard part was getting the nuts removed to pull the master, not a
lot of clearance on the lower of the two.
Once everything was R&R'd I filled the reservoir and put about 8 feet of
tubing on the slave's nipple.
Opened the bleeder and pumped a few times and topped up the fluid and
pumped some more and closed the bleeder.
Filled the master and put on the cap.
Done!
What did they do right that the Brits never could figure out?
The hydraulic line goes right out of the master and then down to the slave.
No bending in the line that creates high spots.
That's the only difference I see, the master and slave are so close to
being the same as the Spridget units it's scary.
I'm tempted to measure the bolt holes to see if one will fit the other,
especially since new master costs less than $30 and new slave is less than
$15.
Ridiculous that we have so much trouble with the Spridgets.
Even on my Midget with the Datsun transmission and clutch slave since it
has the British master cylinder it's a nightmare to bleed.

Rick Bastedo