[Spridgets] Stationary Engine 1275cc

Tim Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Fri Aug 16 07:17:52 MDT 2013

Some listers may remember that I am working on a 1275 stationary
engine project. This is just a engine that I can play with to learn
more about tuning, carb adjustments, etc without having to work in
the bowels of an engine compartment.

My car is a 1098 so the 1275 has some stuff that's new to me.
Pollution control! The air pump, air rail, and other gadgets have
been removed and the holes in the head have been plugged.

The carbs are SU HS2's with the tubes for the "Y" pipe that connects
both carbs to the oil separator on the timing cover. I think I need
to retain this to provide the vacuum necessary to "keep the oil in
the engine." I read in the archives that the carbs serve as a PVC the
way they are made. (Info from Ulix)

So, . . . is that all I need to run the engine on a stationary stand
as far as "vapors plumbing" is concerned?

And, . .

The manifold has a small port for something - distributor vacuum
maybe? Where does the distributor vacuum hook up?

And, . . . the manifold has a much larger port (has a right angle
bend toward the front of the engine) for something related to
pollution control. Can I just plug that off or does that provide some
function I will need?

Can this be used as a vacuum port for a gauge?

The valve cover oil filler cap is the vented type - replace every
12,000 miles - small holes around the side of the cap.

I have pictures of all this stuff on the Flickr site at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/sets/

Just click on the set of pictures for the "Engine Hot Test Stand."

Oh, and if you look at the pics, take a look at the engine number
picture. What's the dangly "J" about?

(6 questions today)

Tim Collins