[Spridgets] No LBC - Computer Virus Question(s)

Allen Hefner lbc77mg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:31:42 MDT 2012

Kent,

It sounds like you have a boot sector virus. It will not go away. You have
two options.
Option 1. Try to find an antivirus program that can be burned on a CD that
will boot the computer. You may need a friend with a clean computer to find
one. You might try www.trendmicro.com and see if they offer it.

Disconnect the computer from the Internet by pulling the network cable or
turning off the wireless router. Boot the infected computer from the CD.
You will have to hit a function key when you turn on the computer to change
the boot order from the hard drive to the CD. Then run the cleaner. Don't
forget to change the boot order back if it works.

Option 2. Take the computer to Best Buy or some other computer store and
have them clean it for a fee.

Option 2 has my vote. Option 1 is a lesson in frustration.

I just picked up a new quad core computer from Costco with Windows 7. The
VERY first thing I did was load Avira, a free anti-virus program that is
highly rated by Consumers. I use AVG on the laptop and it is also
excellent. All the new computers come with free trials of Norton or
Kasparski, but then you have to start paying, and they are no better than
the freeware.

Or...buy a Mac!

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA

*Current:*
2006 Chebbie