[Spridgets] Electrical Saga & A+ engines

dwoerpel dwoerpel at wi.net
Thu Jul 26 11:25:19 MDT 2012

Ahhh yes.  The simple answer to your (and several others) question  is,
I'm deranged and stubborn.  I'm one of those originality people that
when I found out the generator that came with the car when I purchased
it was dated a bit before the build date of the car, I had to keep it.
It has the screw on connectors rather than Lucar (spade) connectors and
I like those better anyway.  The rear plate has the nylon insulation and
but would prefer the phenolic.

You are correct, I have 12 generators lying around, 3 of which have the
tach drive rear plate for the Bugey and MkII Sprite (MkI Midget).  All
are Lucar connections (except the tach drive units) and their front
plates have a longer distance between mounting holes, which I find
interesting, but I would then need a longer adjustment arm.  Apparently
the one on my MGA is shorter (may not be original?  Barney?).

The REAL answer is: I DO NOT like throwing parts on the car if I do not
know the underlying cause for the problem.  I wasn't sure if it was the
generator as it checked out in the shop.  It could have been the control
box and Bob Jeffers and I did all we could over the phone.  He offered
to check out both the generator and his control box and that is what I
was going to do until I had the "just-one-more-look" moment.   In short
(pun intended), I didn't want to blow some other part.  If this were 45
years ago and the car my sole transport, I would've thrown parts at it.

I may very well change to an alternator in future.  I drive my cars,
they are not trailer queens.  When I look at another person's car and
see an alternator, I think, "Yes! This car is driven and the owner
probably doesn't have the drama of driving long distances or after dark
that I do.  When I see a generator on a car I assume the poor owner
suffers from much the same affliction as I or doesn't want to change
over for whatever reason.

I'm not defending my position at all...I know it's "just me".  :-)

What a great list we have.  AND thanks to all who answered my queries
about A+ engines.  I was doing well until Daniel threw in the bit about
about the Morris Ital A+ engine not having 11 studs. I'll have to dig up
that book.

Regards,
Dave W.