[Spridgets] Title issue

Richard Ball richb at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 17 20:17:29 MDT 2012

This sounds a lot like my situation when Phil Jones gave me our '76(thanks
again Phil).  It was last licensed in Oregon and we're in Washington.  If
the laws are the same in the state where your previous owner lives as they
are in Oregon this is what I did.  I contacted the Oregon DMV and was able
to request the address of my cars previous owner.  Since you already know
this you can skip this step.  I then sent him a letter with an Oregon DMV
sales form for him to sign.  No notary required.  He returned that signed to
me which I then forwarded on to the Oregon DMV with the proper forms to
request a transfer of ownership and a reissue of lost title.  With these
forms and the required fees I was issued an Oregon title in my name that I
was able to take to the Washington DMV and get the car titled in my name in
Washington.  This all took a couple of calls to the Oregon DMV before I was
able to connect with someone that could understand what I wanted and knew
how to get it accomplished.  I would contact the head office for the DMV in
question as they will most likely know more that the local offices.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA