[Spridgets] ethanol

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:38:07 MDT 2011

Dean,

There is plenty of sound science behind these warnings on ethanol but it hs
been surpressed by the government and the ethanol industry.  Try this...

http://newcarbuyingguide.com/index.php/news/main/5700/event=view

I quote Bill Siuru, PhD, Automotive Engineering:

"If you own an older vehicle, one built before the mid-1980s, you are more
likely to experience problems with even small amounts of alcohol, even E10.
A big problem is deterioration or swelling and hardening of rubber
components like fuel hoses, carburetor seals and gaskets, and fuel pump
seals. when in contact with ethanol. This may lead to fuel leaks. The
solution is replacement of components with ethanol compatible ones. Trying
to find and use non-ethanol fuel will be difficult.

Because ethanol absorbs water more readily, this can be especially
troublesome with vehicles that sit idle for extended periods. It can cause
rust in metal components such as fuel tanks. It can also cause pitting of
metal parts. If you plan to store a vehicle, run the tank dry before
storing.

While not usually a problem in vehicles, even low concentrations of ethanol
can damage fiberglass fuel tanks such as used in boats. Ethanol dissolves
the lining of fiberglass fuel tanks, often depositing a dark "sludge" inside
marine engines causing costly damage. Eventually, fiberglass tanks dissolve
until they fail, leaking fuel."

Owners of 1980s & 1990s K model BMW motorcycle (like me) are intimately
aware of the dangers of ethanol in fuel.  First, it is hygroscopic meaning
that it attracts water. Like crazy. You then get gelatinous "globs" in the
bottom of your fuel tank which plug fuel filters and transport water through
the fuel system (corrosion and rusting out of things like metal fuel pump
diaphragms - ask Dave W.). It also eats rubber and plastic over time so that
immersible fuel pumps (K model BMWs) suddenly overheat and fry (about $700
apiece). Even my wife's 2006 Silverado PU with submersible fuel pump warns
about excessive ethanol use (like E85) and requires periodic draining of the
fuel tank to get the ethanol formed globs out. IN the old days, gas and
water stayed separate - no problem. But not when there is ethanol (even E10)
in the mix.

Continue using it at your own risk.

Cheers!!
Jim