[Spridgets] The Walk to Defeat ALS is this Saturday!!

Macy Larry lmacy at mac.com
Mon Oct 31 08:45:48 MST 2011

I do this to honor the memory of my children's mother, Janet

Fellow Spridgeteers,

Thanks to all whom have already sponsored me. I am very thankful to have your
support in this. I am excited to participate in this years Walk.

In November, I will be participating in The ALS Association's Greater
Philadelphia Walk to Defeat ALS.. I have recently accepted the challenge to
raise funds to help the Association accelerate the discovery of the cause and
cure of Lou Gehrig's Disease, and to provide programs and services that are so
desperately needed by ALS patients and their families.

Imagine: as you are busy with your career, your family, and your community
responsibilities, you become unable to speak well. You fall inexplicably. You
have trouble picking up papers or using a pen. You tire very easily. You seek
medical counsel, but are given no satisfactory answers. If you can imagine
this, then you start to understand the beginnings of ALS, or Lou Gehrig's
Disease.

Unfortunately, the beginning is the best part of the struggle with ALS. It
gets much worse. Relatively quickly - usually within two years - the patient
becomes unable to speak, to move, to swallow. Finally, the patient becomes
unable to breathe. Most patients die within five years. Yet, through it all,
for the vast majority of patients, their minds remain unaffected. Essentially
the ALS patient's mind is trapped inside a helpless body.

My hope is to be one of the top fundraising participants and bring many
friends and family with us on Walk Day! To do this, I need your support
therefore I am asking you to support my Walk team by making a gift or by
walking with me.

It is faster and easier than ever to support this great cause by making your
tax-deductible donation online using the link below. Simply click on the link
below to visit my personal fundraising page and donate directly online or join
me as a Walk participant.

You may also choose to send your contribution in the form of a check. Please
make all checks payable to The ALS Association, Greater Philadelphia Chapter
and send them to me at the following address:

Larry Macy
729 Barclay Ave
Morrisville, PA, 19067

You can also send donations directly to The ALS Association at 321 Norristown
Road, Suite 260, Ambler, PA 19002. When sending to the office, please include
a note that says the money is for the Greater Philadelphia Walk team (insert
team name here) and for me as the walker.

Thank you again for supporting me in the fight against ALS. I appreciate your
generosity and participation and will continue to update you with my progress
as Walk Day nears.

Sincerely,
Larry

Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to
support ALS Association Greater Philadelphia Chapter

*
Some email systems do not support the use of links and therefore this link may
not appear to work. If so, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://walk.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=464067&u=464067-251091391&e=507091244
2
*

Larry Macy
--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy at upenn.edu
Senior IT Program Director
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Now there is one outstandingly important fact regarding Spaceship Earth, and
that is that no instruction book came with it." --Buckminster Fuller