[Spridgets] Where were you when the LBC bug got you?

Macy Larry lmacy at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 11:51:04 MDT 2011

I had always been intersted in them. Bought my first when I was about 15. $300
for 2 MGA's (a 59 and a 61) with an unassembled MGB engine. They needed work,
I was goijng to make one car out of 2. Did a tn of work on them, never
finished them. Found girls and got "distracted" ;-) Sold them when my dad got
tied of them being in the garage. Got $300 for them. Bought a 1976 Midget in
1978 with the insurance settlement on my wife's family's house that got
flattened in a tornado. We had just sent off the paperwork for it to be sold
at 10 AM, at 1:15, there was not a house anymore. So we went to Debver and
looked at British Cars, a blue Midget, a brown TR6, a TR4 and an MGB. Went
back to the blue Midget. We bought it from an MG dealer for about $1500 as I
recall. In 1983 that car fell victim to a short stopping kid in a 69 Plymouth
on rain slick streets. Insurance company totaled it. We put in a bid to get it
back and found out later we were beat by $5 by the son of the insurance dude.
Wonder how that happened.

We were living in Gillette, WY at the time and found a 78 Midget on the local
Ford dealer lot. It had a SnugTop hard top (I already had one) and they wanted
like $2800 for it. I told them I would give them $2300 since that was all it
was worth. They said no, I said OK, I'll drive to Denver and get one for $2000
and spend the $300 on a nice hotel and dinner. They took the $2300 ;-). That
car was moved from WY, to Arkansas, to PA. It sat for a couple years after we
got to PA and then it was my only car for several years. I (with the help of
the OSHIT team) just finished a full restore of the car. It was a true body
off restoration. We took the body off, slipped another one in it's place and
put all the bits back ;-)

So that is a total of 4 LBC's over 40 yerars.

Larry

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/lmacy@mac.com

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy at upenn.edu
Senior IT Program Director
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
Perelman School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

Don't you love it when your brain knows what's right, and your fingers don't
listen?