[Spridgets] What fluid for clutch master cylinder? - APRacing answer

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 17 04:13:21 MDT 2011

Question....
To: roadtech at apracing.co.uk
Subject: AP Racing - Contact Form

name: Guy R Day
enquiry: Whilst you do not sell and do not recommend using a silicone based
brake fluid with any of your products, will you uphold your guarantee if
silicone fluid has been used from new in a braking / clutch system?
enquiryType: 0284b

Answer....
Dear Sir,
I do not think that we would be responsible for that.

IF you have used the silicone based fluid it will definitely cause the
rubber seals to swell at a greater rate than they would with a standard type
fluid.

The seal replacement and cleaning of the hydraulic system is down to the end
user to correct.

Best Regards

Name (deleted to save him other calls)
Rally Engineer

APracing also sent the page of warnings about Silicone fluid that can be
found on their web site but refused to say where this originated other than
from,  "a technical person of great authority".  There was a refusal to
expand on the.  It is this type of attitude makes the document and words
sound as if they are nothing other than something made up to counter the use
of a product they do not sell.

A later telephone conversation with the Rally Engineer said the main problem
was that Silicone make their rubbers swell great than their fluids.  Again
there was no expansion of this neither was there an explanation of how this
happens or with what rubber types.

I have yet to receive replies from other enquiries but Wes wanted this reply
when I got it.  It fully supports his stance.

Guy R Day