[Spridgets] sending unit

Jim Seippel aseippel at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 3 21:09:31 MDT 2011

The sending unit should be installed in the tank so the nut is positioned
toward the rear of the car.  The gasket on the sending unit should be sealed
with Hylomar.

On a bugeye, the wire is part of the harness and is fed through a grommet
from inside the trunk and runs toward the front of the car. The grommet is
on the floor of the trunk and is below the area on the license plate. The
wire attaches to the sending unit through a stud and nut. The sending unit
is grounded through the mounting studs that attaches the tank to the body of
the car.

If you want to verify operation of the fuel gauge and sending unit before
you install the tank, you can ground the lead to the sending unit with the
ignition switch turned on.  The gauge should show full travel when you
ground and unground the sending unit wire.  You can use a VOM to measure the
resistance between the body of the sending unit and the stud where the wire
attaches to the sending unit. The resistance should change as you move the
float arm. You can also attach the wire to the sending unit and ground the
body of the sending unit. Then you can verify the complete system works and
you move the float arm.
Jim