[Spridgets] OT waaaay OT Electric Vehicles--and IS 710

Robert Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Mon May 9 17:10:47 MDT 2011

Kate wrote:  "I'm afraid that I would not feel very smart driving a Smart
car between a pair of 100,000+ pound tractor trailers, not matter how much
safety equipment it came with."

Oh, Kate, that would be a piece of cake compared to driving my Sprite on
Interstate 710 between the Port of Long Beach and the railway yards in Los
Angeles.  You see, more cargo and containers move through the Port of Long
Beach (and Los Angeles) than any other United States Port, and that means
the 710 is also the most heavily traveled route of 18-wheelers in America
(and perhaps the world if decade-old records still hold).

I'll tell you that in a Sprite and on a scale of 1-10, that stretch has a
Pucker Factor of about 20!!!!!!  (And can quickly recolor your seat
upholstery.)  Those 18-wheel suckers respect each other, and are accustomed
to getting their own way.  They can't even SEE a Sprite among all that
horsepower.  Pam refuses to ride in the Sprite if I am going anywhere near
the 710!!!!!

Let's, Billy and Paul can pretty well attest to the Lions and Early
Christians nature of the 710!

Buster Evans