[Spridgets] 1962 MK II Sprites did not come with rubber transmission mat see article.....

Jay Fishbein jfishbein at snet.net
Sun Mar 13 10:32:42 MST 2011

I didn't say they ONLY came in white. Hardtops were supplied black and white.

Regarding your other comments, some subscribe to the notion that there were
regular deviations in production. I don't.

I believe in what can be documented through factory and period information. My
interest in originality is how they left the factory. I have never had much
interest in non-factory accessories.

My interest in Concours has waned considerably over the years because people
without an appreciation for it, like to make a sport out of criticizing it,
some like to stretch the rules primarily to win a trophy, and others try to
use condition and parts installed on non-original beaters as valid criteria
for originality.

If you just want to win prizes, enter a car in popularity, hand out beer, and
glad-hand everybody. Or better yet, get a car that has no competition in it's
class.

If you have an interest in originality, get your hands on every period
publication that even mentions the word Austin-Healey Sprite and start
reading. Get factory parts books and note the change points. Observe
unrestored original cars.

One's interest in originality shouldn't be to win a trophy nor to own a car
they would feel uncomfortable owning or driving.

Regarding special ordering Sprites in different colors, I'll accept your
"perhaps" if I see the original dealer and factory information confirming
such.

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT
-An iPhone communication-