[Spridgets] Re A (sad) tale of ethanol!!

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 23:13:48 MDT 2011

Kurt,

I am ambivalent about ethanol as a chemical. What I hate is politicians and
bureaucrats mandating its use when they don't know what the heck they are
doing.  Interesting about sending our corn ethanol to Brazil.
Unfortunately, co-opting feed/food corn to make ethanol is causing a lot of
corn shortages throughout central America where corn is the staple instead
of wheat. The result is poor people there are starting to go hungry because
they can't afford the corn any more. For example, in Guatemala in May the
cost of food stock corn went up 13% in a single week. But no biggie, eh?
They can always go back to digging taro root in the jungles! Screw 'em!

Our insane mandate of using a large part of our corn crop for corn based
ethanol instead of food, then mixing it into our gasoline to result in a
fuel that costs more, reduces mileage, drives up the cost of corn products,
disrupts the food supply and damages our legacy vehicles is really paying
off around the world, eh?

Cheers!!
Jim