[Spridgets] Freedom of expression--Guns

Robert Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 14:06:01 MDT 2011

Today, I received the following e-mail from Pam's niece.  Since it deals
with the second most popular topic on the Spridget List, I thought I would
share it with you.  Remember, this is California.

Buster

---------------------

Looking for some feedback on this........ I will be going on the Dave
Congalton Show on KVEC on Monday the 11th of July @ 5 pm to talk about this.
Tune in!!  920 AM

 Many years ago I applied to the DMV for a personalized license plate, which
I received. I won't tell you yet what it said.A few yrs later I married and
changed the plate to a different
personalized name, my married name, and let the first plate expire.  For
many reasons, I recently decided I wanted my old personalized plates back
again. I went to DMV and was told if I wanted to renew them it would be the
personal plate fee times how many years since it had expired. It worked out
to be around $450.00!!

An alternative option was to apply for the plates as a new request, this
would only cost me $49.

I applied for GUN LOVE . There is a place to indicate what the plate name
means and of course I stated " I love guns".  Much to my shock and dismay,
the letter I received stated that my request had been reviewed to see if the
configuration was "appropriate to manufacture".

   "Unfortunately, the DMV is unable to approve the requested plate
configuration for the following reason(s):

   1. Per California Vehicle Code, Section 5105, the department may refuse
any combination of letters and numbers that may be considered offensive,
which could be misleading, or in conflict with any existing license plate
series issued"

   The Special Processing Unit Manager, A. Correa, went on to say :

    I am sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to balance an
individual's constitutional right to free speech and expression, while
protecting the sensibilities of all segments of our population.  Please
understand that this is a very difficult area to regulate and not everyone
feels the same way on any given subject.

   I am offered an opportunity to submit a letter of explanation for further
review, which I have drafted and will be submitting.