[Spridgets] Speedometer issues

Heard Saxon heard at datatrontech.net
Thu Dec 8 06:07:06 MST 2011

Took my BE out for a drive the other day and after about 10 miles, the
speedometer started wildly fluctuating.  The odometer hasn't worked in who
knows how long so I was contemplating fixing it myself or sending it in for
repair anyway.  So first I called MoMa and spoke to them about repair.  Me
being a Typical Unsophisticated Southern Person, it was difficult to
understand the  thick accent of the fellow I was talking to, but I think he
told me that the old speedometer cables will actually unwind somewhat
causing them to get longer.  As they do, they collide with the innards of
the speedo and cause all sorts of havoc.  After hearing the price to have
it repaired, I decided to tear it apart and see what was going on.

Well, the worm gear is shot so the odometer is never going to work again
without some replacement parts.  The speedo part seems fine.  I'm wondering
if his analysis is correct regarding the cable.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Heard