[Spridgets] Runs great, but terrible mileage - Weber 40 for sale

David Riker davriker at nwi.net
Fri Sep 17 21:08:20 MDT 2010

DCOE carburetors are designed for power at high rpm, think of them like 351
Cleveland ford heads.  Huge ports= high volume@ high rpm, but at low rpm the
air velocity is too slow.   At low velocity,  fuel droplets atomize poorly,
and aren't able to burn as efficiently.  Improperly tuned, DCOE's will make
an engine feel like it bogs down at low rpm.  They can be tuned to run
smoothly at low rpm, and the stumble can be tuned out of them, but they
still really aren't meant for low rpm applications and will consume about
30% more fuel than a good SU.  The real benifits are that they are 1) set
and forget... once dialed in, they NEVER go out of tune, 2) quicker throttle
response... you get a real accellerator pump which shoots raw fuel into the
airstream when you mash the pedal, 3) they look real cool... 4) they sound
real cool too...

Adding a ported vacuum feed for your vacuum advance system isn't all that
difficult. I drilled a hole adjacent to the front throttle plate, so that at
idle, the hole is on the aircleaner side of the throttle plate and no vacuum
signal is present, but as soon as you roll into the throttle, the throttle
plate swings open past the hole, and a vacuum signal occurs.  I used
alumiweld glue to glue a small piece of metal tube into the hole, and hooked
a vacuum line to it.  I had to try 3 variations on location, testing with a
vacuum gauge and a hose that reached into the driving compartment and watch
how the vacuum signal responded before I set on a location that yielded
vacuum under light throttle and cruising conditions, but none at idle.  With
a lopy cam and high lift rockers, any vacuum signal at idle makes the timing
at idle jump all over the place.

Part of my less than optimum fuel economy can also be attributed to the cam
and high lift rockers.  The engine doesn't even start to sing until above
about 2500 rpm, but from 3k to 6k it is a whole lot of fun.
David R.