[Spridgets] Fuel Pump HELL......suggestions for a "GOOD" fuel pump please.

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Sat May 15 18:34:36 MDT 2010

Linda, et al.

12 volts sounds good, but it really isn't.

Car Battery Resting Open Circuit Voltage vs. Capacity Remaining:
12.65V = 100%
12.45V = 75%
12.24V = 50%
12.06V = 25%
11.89V or less = Discharged

Print and cut out the above & tape it to the back of your multi-meter.

If your voltage is down below 11 volts even after charging it for a good
while, then it usually means that one or more cells have gone bad. This is
easy to confirm by pulling the vent caps and noting the cell(s) that do not
fizz while the battery is under the influence of the charger.
This is how I tell if it is time to get a new battery.

The good news is that Linda's battery is probably OK, outside of needing a
charge.

If batteries don't get used much then they go bad.  Driving your car
short distances and only on the weekends qualifies us for this failure mode.

A float charger is a worthwhile investment that can prevent this issue.
I think Harbor Freight has them on sale now for $6.  I have one and it works
fine.

BTW, If you run only one fuel filter then place it before the fuel pump.
This will protect the pump from sucking up trash from the tank. This is
especially important if it a rotary type.

If you want to add a second filter, then place it up by the carbs.

Speaking of filters, I like to use those little clear lawn mower filters.
I was in Lowes the other day and they wanted something like $12 for one.
For $19 I could get one in a John Deer package!

Walmart had them for $3.80.