[Spridgets] Re.: Cross Flow Heads

Norm 2Bs twobees at sprynet.com
Thu May 6 06:42:06 MDT 2010

"What is the advantage in performance, if any, with a cross flow head? I
have seen them on a Bugeye (think one of the list members has one on his
car)?

Is it worth the trouble to go with a cross flow?"

I can't speak about advantage on a Spridget.  But, I put a x-flow on a '66
MGB replacing a well-modified cast iron head.  Also went from 1-1/2" SUs to
1-3/4" SUs.  Most noticeable difference was from idle to 3,000 rpms.  But,
it no doubt created more power in upper rpm ranges as lap times dropped a
lot.

Disadvantage was access to distributor was limited & barely any clearance
between front carb & alternator.

I eventually went to a purpose-built 90% race engine with 5-port cast iron
head & single Weber 45 DCOE estimated at 145 h.p.  That dropped lap times by
more than x-flow from original set up.

Norm