[Spridgets] Chinese Manufacturers

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 14:04:20 MDT 2010

Frank,

My brother in law who is an excellent guitar player. . matter of fact he
played in recording studios for extra income while he was in college and
once worked with the renown Nelson Riddle. .   suffice to say he has an
"ear."  He was on CBS TV years ago and has a very impressive "resume" in
terms of who he has played with.

So he goes into Guitar Center to buy an acoustic guitar.   He tells the
sales guy that he wants to sit in a chair and keep his eyes closed so that
he will not be swayed by the name of the guitars that he is testing. .  such
as the high dollar guitars like Taylor or Martin. .  he just wants the
"tone" that he is looking for.

A few hours later he walks out of the store with a Parkwood.  He paid
$900.0. .  however his pockets were full and he was ready to pay up to 4k or
more if need be.

He has no idea where the thing was made. .  and neither did I.  I guess he
didn't care.  When he found the tone he was after, that was all that
mattered.

When I saw the guitar I was blown away by the quality construction. .
perfect in every way and the selection of woods was also top notch.  . not
to mention the sound of the thing which rivals any Taylor or Martin that I
have ever played or heard. . . guitars costing thousands more.

Inside the cavity of the guitar where they put the manufacturing info. .  I
read "Made in China."  I nearly fell out of my seat . . after which I
further studied the construction trying to find a reason as to why it was
made in China? . .  But nothing came up other than a top notch constructed
instrument.

Now a few years later the guitar continues to hold its intonation, stays in
tune, no lifting of the bridge, etc etc.  The neck and the fret work is top
notch, as it came to him, polished and perfect.

So my father in law goes to China to have some electronic stuff made for his
business and when he gets over there (he has been a few times). .  they ask
him. .  "What level of quality do you want us to build too"?

Seems that they were offering three levels of quality with the highest level
the one that they would prefer to build too . . and of course the lower
quality being the least expensive.

My take is that they might in some cases be able build to a high quality. .
if said quality is ordered.  The problem might lie in the area of Americans
who go over there and order to the lowest quality to turn a fast buck?

With that said I am in no way pro Chinese regarding all the stuff that they
make. . . I would rather see these jobs come back to America.   And
personally, no matter how good the deal in terms of cost. .  nor how well
made the instrument.  . you will only catch me buying and playing American
made guitars.  I guess I have a hangup about it. .  but everything I will
spend money on must be from the US (new cars included). .  plus with music
gear the resale value holds as well.   (One exception . .  I have had my
share of Marshall amps made in the UK)!

Kirk
59