[Spridgets] Ralph Nader. . Corvair

Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 12:32:18 MDT 2010

I remember my father saying that the Corvair had no restraining straps and
under certain conditions a rear axle could droop so much as to cause severe
instability.  But that is my failing memory.  I distinctly remember stumbling
on a copy of "unsafe" where dad had marked it all up with comments like, "no
data to back this up", "Emotional not factual", things like that.

Lester

On Jul 2, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Kitterer Bob wrote:

> Nader was on a revenge crusade because his favorite law professor was
seriously injured or killed, I do not remember which, in an accident driving a
Corvair.  Among other things the professor seems to have ignored the tire
pressure.  The front and rear tire pressures on Corvairs were significantly
different and many people like today put the same pressure in all of the tires
if they checked them at all.  That coupled with the rear engine resulted in
the rear end going some where other than where one might want.  Nader's
argument in his book claiming the rear suspension was the problem was totally
idiotic.

> Road & Track to Nader to task on the VW bus, just do not remember the year.
>
> Bob Kitterer
>
> 1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise) - in storage
> 1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes - in storage
>
> On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Bud Osbourne wrote:
>
>> Actually, VW caught the sonofabitch using bogus information to make his
case.  Bogus as in "fabricated" to suit his purpose.  VW had the balls to
confront the lyin' weasel whereas GM just kind of stuck their head in the sand
and hoped it would all blow over/go away.  Nader just kind of "dropped" the
subject of the VW, for which VW didn't press the matter.  Too bad VW didn't
follow through and crush that miserable creep.  Instead, Nader was allowed to
spread more of his crap around and further the cause of "I'm not responsible
for my own stupidity" and all that goes along with that mentality, including
an out of control tort law situation and the acceptance of the idea that it is
the government's responsibility to protect us from ourselves.

.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/bkitterer@mac.com