[Spridgets] Had an OSHIT day

Phil Nase nases at verizon.net
Sat Jan 16 19:13:28 MST 2010

The weather was so great today Jane and I took the yellow bugeye out for a
short ride through my favorite esses.

We rode about 10 miles before we got to the turns, a series of quick turns up
hill.  When we got there we caught a slower vehicle and I had to back off on a
slight right hander when the engine revs went way up.  I downshifted and the
same thing happened so I got off on the shoulder.

The left rear wheel was pulled out about 5 inches.  Wheel, brake drum, hub and
all.  We got a ride home on a rollback.  I pulled the whole thing right out of
the diff.

The hub nut had backed off!!  It was loose and rattling around inside.  I've
never had the axles or hubs off of this car in the 6 years I've had it.  So
what would cause this to happen?  The nut and tabbed washer look fine and so
do the threads on the axle housing.

I usually drive this car pretty hard so it could have been a lot worse, we
were lucky to be going pretty slow.

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa/