[Spridgets] oil leaks MAJOR at rpm

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 18:28:05 MST 2010

Leo S wrote:
>   Is it possible to pull the motor without removing
> the bonnet?

YES

Floor jack method.
Undo the motor mounts, remove the carbs, exhaust manifold, starter,
dizzy and oil filter.
Unbolt the motor (or motor and trans if pulling both)
Put a towel on the steering rack,
Use a floor jack to jack up the engine so the fron pulley clears the
cross member, pull forward a little, it's now loose.
Jack it up so the pan clears the cross member and just like the playtex
living bra, lift & separate.
Slide it over the towel on the steering rack, have an assistant balance
it on the rack, pull the jack out to the front of the car and put it
back under the motor.
Pull it away from the car.
I have done it many times, and I have done it without an assistant but
balancing the engine with one hand while lowering, and moving the floor
jack gets scary.
It all slides out right between the radiator supports.
Oh yeah, you have to remove the radiator too.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ