[Spridgets] King Pin Question

Richard Ball richb at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 26 14:14:46 MST 2010

I have a worn right hand outer fulcrum pin on our '76 Midget that I need to
address.  There is visible movement at the fulcrum pin/king pin connection,
and some looseness in the steering while driving.  Does the king pin wear out
at the same rate as the fulcrum pin, or is it usually still usable?  If I do
need to replace the king pins we do have access to a reamer here in NOSHIT
group.  Does anyone ever get lucky and have the A arm be usable after removing
a worn fulcrum pin?  Mine has no visible cracks showing, but I don't know how
the threads are until I pull it.  The fulcrum pin/king pin/ A arm on the left
side appears to be fine and look like they may have been replaced at some
point in the past.

Top head off a possibly obvious question.  The wheel bearings were inspected
and repacked along with the replacement of the trunnion bushings and tie rod
ends on both sides during the NOSHIT last Spring  I still need to replace the
inner bushing on both sides in the front and bushings all around in the rear.

Thanks
Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA