[Spridgets] 3.9 or 3.7 diff wanted

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:49:19 MST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Edward Perez <eap2140 at yahoo.com> wrote:
One thing I did notice on the half shafts is that one of them (from
the passenger side) has splines that twist and it shows a little fresh
wear right where they start twisting.  I checked the manuals and none
of them show this.  The driver's side has straight splines.  On the
passenger side bearing in the diff, it shows signs of damage to the
inside.  This might be where the problem is.  All the bearings turn
smoothly.  I will post pics as soon as I can.  Any thoughts on this?

Ed,

The straight spline is how it is supposed to be. You saved yourself
the trouble of getting your car home when the twisted spline broke off
there as well as getting the broken piece out of the carrier! Used
axles are cheap and easy to find. However, try to make sure which side
a used axle came from and only replace it on that side. The twisting
is often because an axle was replaced to the opposite side and was
thereby torqued in the wrong direction from original. Whenever I pull
axles I mark them as to driver or passenger side so they can be
replaced properly. As far as the bearing damage, I will defer to the
more experienced on the list.

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye