[Spridgets] Austin A40 SOLD!

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 21:24:33 MDT 2010

Somebody wanted it. It has been for sale (sort of) for the past 5 years.
And today a couple who looked at it a few times decided to buy it.
Since nobody around here used it, I am glad to see it go.
We put maybe 100 miles a year on it. We have too many Sprites which are
more fun to drive than an Austin Saloon.
So today I tuned it up, changed the oil, tightened a few screws and
touched up some paint chips, the happy new owners will pick it up Monday
as soon as one of them learns how to drive a stick!
The guy never did, the girl was taught by her father a couple times on
his pick up truck when she was learning to drive, they are both in their
mid to late 30s.
He did not drive it, she tried and managed to get it around the block
after stalling it 8 times. She had no clue when I said ease out the
clutch as you give it the gas.
Do people forget how to drive sticks after 20 years or so?
I can understand stalling something you try to drive for the first time,
everything is a little different, too much gas, to fast on the clutch,
but this girl had no clue.
I restored this thing back in 1997, It was my daughter's only car when
she turned 17, she does not know it sold but she has her Bugeye now and
she took the A40 around the block once last year, and she wants to keep
it but I have to store it. Nope. She is a big girl now, Daddy needs his
space ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ