[Spridgets] Speaking of Harley Davidsons

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 16:28:44 MDT 2010

While I am not a Harley fan, as a long time motorcyclist I do have to take
issue with your observations concerning HD quality and R&D.  When Willie G
took over after the AMF debacle, he instituted huge changes in the marque.
By the early 1980s the Evo engine came out - a massive improvement over
earlier engines. Willie was smart. He studied the competition - mainly the
Japanese but also the Germans (since the Brits were pushing antiquated iron
sopping with oil). He visited their factories and spoke to riders all across
the nation. The result was a sweeping change in HD motorcycles that
continued up through the 1990s.  Today's HD is easily the equal of any other
motorcycle on the market. (And that is a really difficult thing for a life
long BMW rider to admit!)

Cheers!!
Jim

--