[Spridgets] Shifting Inconsistencies with a Rib Case Gear Box

bjshov8 at tx.rr.com bjshov8 at tx.rr.com
Thu Aug 5 14:12:47 MDT 2010

I wondered about possible problems with the throwout bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate.  Didn't somebody recently say they had a problem and when they pulled it apart they found out the throwout bearing had turned to pieces and gone away?

I also wondered if there was slop in the input shaft of the transmission so that in one gear it was held one way while when in another gear it was held a different way.  My transmission experience is with US 4-speeds, and they have a single gear attached to the input shaft that then contacts the cluster gear.  Gears 1 through 3 run through the cluster gear and the load is transferred sideways through the input shaft gear to the cluster gear, which would cause the input shaft to cock slightly if it had room to do so, but in 4th gear the torque goes from the input shaft to the shift sleeve directly and puts no sideways load on the input shaft.

Just guessing is all.