[Spridgets] Radiator size

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 20:47:32 MDT 2010

Michael Rowe wrote:
> There has been discussion of radiator height for a BE bonnet on a SB, which I can't find in the archives.  What alternatives have people used to fit under a BE Bonnet?

I am using a Geo Metro radiator. It fits, works well, has an electric
fan, and it was $15 at the junk yard.
Also, Suzuki Swift, and a weird little chevy which looks like the swift
and metro use the same radiator.
It's a 3 cyl car BUT you need the rad from the automatic tranny model as
the stick shifts used a slightly taller rad.
I don't know why this is but it is.
I simply crimped off the trans cooler pipes.
Stock downflow bottom hose still works but you need a cross flow top
hose and it needs to be cut short by about an inch.
I made 2 "L" brackets to hold the metro rad to the Bugeye rad supports,
I just used the top holes, the bottom of the rad sits nice down between
the front frame rails.
I also cut off 1 leg of the electric fan support to clear the steering rack.
Nothing has moved and I have had that radiator for about 9 years now.
Pepboys has a universal electric fan switch with a probe that fits in
the fins of the rad, it also is adjustable.
Mine is set to come on at 170*, I run a 160 stat and with the small
speedwell grille opening, this works fine.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ