[Spridgets] Car Dealer question, absolutely NO LBC

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Wed Sep 23 18:03:19 MDT 2009

mike rambour wrote:
 > Today the car dealership called and said she did not qualify for the
 > loan and she needs one of us to co-sign for the loan OR she needs to
 > bring in $1,400 to bring the loan down to what she qualified to.

IANAL, but she's of legal age to enter a contract without you. So
the dealer can pound sand for the co-sign. Maybe the salesperson
will co-sign the loan so he/she can get their commission.

I'd take my daughter down there and say "Deals off. I'll take my car back."
Then watch them squirm.  Don't give them the extra $1400.  See what happens.
The options they gave you work for the dealership; they obviously don't
work for you. You are more than happy to "undo" the deal. The problem is
that they cannot undo it. Let them take the loss. :)

But seeing a lawyer will give you more ammunition to play their game.
I don't see how you can lose this one.  For example, (again, IANAL),
they knew you daughter wouldn't qualify for the loan, but they did the
deal anyway and auctioned off her car. Now "you" have to come up with
the extra money that they wanted up front but thought they could get
*after* the fact.

Yeah, get a lawyer. Have fun with it. Screw 'em.

--
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2