[Spridgets] wire wheels

Paul Asgeirsson PAsgeirsson at att.net
Wed Oct 14 11:51:30 MDT 2009

Hi Jay,

I've balanced a lot of wheels/tires in the past and still do.  I have an
ancient Bear spin balancer. It's a wheel off the car wheel balancer.

The first attempt using this device is to just static balance the wheel
assembly, then spin it.  If it wasn't off balance dynamically, you might
have it done!  If it's off, the weight positioning gadget readout tells you
where and how much weight to put on a specific location, be it static or
dynamic, or change what your first guess was, IE: sorta has a wobble, Mac,
message!  Then you usually put an equal weight pair of weights, 180 degrees
away from each other, to correct that.  You know when you've got it right as
the tire will wind whistle at you as you spin it at high speed.

A rather interesting bit is the tire has a tendency to change shape a bit as
it rotates at high speed.  This is especially true of non radial tires, with
no belt on them in their construction.

The new off the car balancers simply tell you right away on the first spin,
where to stick on the weights and how heavy they should be.  Fast and fairly
accurate.

Egads! Even a drone can do it!

Later, Paul A