[Spridgets] Was Pontiacs, now TransAm - still no LBC

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 17:38:26 MDT 2009

HealeyRick: "If you loved sports cars and muscle in the late '60s and early
70s, Trans Am was the place
to be."

I never saw any TransAm racing in person
when it was current, but have been to many vintage race weekends to see them
battle it out.  It is definitely great racing.  I particularly remember a
Mid-Ohio vintage weekend maybe 18 years ago or so when a light blue Lotus (I
think it was an Elan Coupe?) was giving the Mustangs and Camaros fits.  Not
sure if it was supposed to be there or just ended up with the TransAm cars
because of a lack of anybody in its normal class.  But talk about an exercise
in contrasts!  The thundering v8's and the one screaming twin cam 4.  The
front runners would pass him either on or just  before the back straight, but
he'd kick their butts and be back in front by the time they got to the
pedestrian bridge at the bottom of the esses.  They'd pretty much stay there
till at least the carousel or the driving bridge, if not the big turn at the
start of the back stretch again.  Don't remember who won, but it was great
 racing.

BTW - I think that was also the first weekend I ever heard a CanAm
car driven in anger... Holy crap. Four or five were there.  When they went by
under acceleration, the ground would literally shake under you from a hundred
feet away. It was not nearly as much fun to watch as the TransAm guys, but
what an impression those no-holds-barred cars made.

 - David Booker
Long
Island